Thursday 11 September 2014

So many things to keep up with, so little time!

Ok, I now remember why I quit Facebook months ago…not enough daylight hours to keep on top of all of the posts chiming in on my phone while maintaining some degree of sanity! LOL While I sometimes think I'm on constant information overload, I'm enjoying reading about other people's journeys and find that I enjoy blogging.

A grade 6 student told me today that hashtags were just words that you wanted to make popular so you started putting them in everywhere and people would start saying them, too.   For all I know, he could be right! :-/

My 12 year old son was instantly disgusted with me when I told him that I didn't really understand the point of hashtags…like I was the only one in the world that didn't know what it was.  "Really mom, you seriously don't know what a hashtag is? C'mon, it's just a link!" I redeemed myself, however, when I asked him to help me tweet and he didn't actually know how to go about using a hashtag in Twitter (I recognize that it probably says something negative about me that my redemption was actually his failure but for now I will take what I can get!).

I am realizing that Google+ is more my style than Twitter.  It's not that I dislike Twitter (although I may have at least once called myself a Twitter hater), but that I truly don't get it!  I feel more connected on Google+ and as someone who prefers real-life connection to people, that is important to me.  I am a conversationalist and Google+ strikes me as more conversational.  Twitter to me is more impersonal and abrupt and I just can't seem to figure out what the heck I should add for a meaningful hashtag.  Wait, are hashtags always meaningful?  Do I need to know what they link to, if in fact they link to anything at all?!?!?

I still have so much to learn!  I'm quite sure that part of my Twitter frustration is that I need to sit down and do some serious reading about it so that I feel like I know what the heck I'm doing!!! Well, since it's already after 11pm and I have to make the kids' lunches and get ready for work in the morning, it's not going to happen tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment